Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Day 6: Shrine of Divine Mercy, Tour of Inner Krakow

Day 6 was a day I was really looking forward to! I even had a special shirt for it. BUT, my brother, Jon, gave my Large-sized body a Medium-sized shirt. Me, being the stubborn guy I am, wore it anyway, and just sucked in. We woke up and got on the bus to go to the Shrine of Divine Mercy. Saint Faustina is the one who God revealed His teaching of Divine Mercy to, and I was really excited to see the shrine. I did not know, however, that Saint Faustina's convent was BEHIND the shrine! Whhhaaat. You know the famous "Jesus, I trust in You" picture? That is the image of Divine Mercy, with the rays of Blood and Water flowing from Christ's Sacred Heart. Christ revealed Himself to Faustina and she got an artist to paint this image of Mercy for all the world.

We also had a new tour guide this day, Luke.  Luke was a little less talkative than Ewa, and much more reserved than Conrad.

The Convent was our first stop. Luke gave us a brief history on the convent, but I was somewhat distracted by the nuns that beautifully covered the walkways, their habits identical to every picture I've seen of Faustina. To see The Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy, and how they have evolved just as mercy itself has evolved since the mid 20th century, I was completely awestruck.

We then got to see a replica of Sister Faustina Kowalska's cell, where she stayed at the convent. It was small, devout, and simple. Her Diary is a well-known and used source for people to learn of the origin of Mercy, and Saint Faustina's daily life, along with the sufferings she endured. It is a beautiful witness to how we should not be complaining to our own misfortunes. We should be offering them up as a sacrifice to the One who sacrificed everything for you and me. We as Christians are called to follow Christ, and where did He ultimately end up? On the cross. So must we be able to endure our own daily crosses, because it is what lies beyond the cross that we live and die for: Eternal Life with God Himself.

We also entered the chapel where the sisters pray and have mass. It was simple, intricate, and beautiful all at the same time. Saint Faustina's remains lie under the Image of Divine Mercy, as a way for her to always be remembered as a channel and instrument of God's mercy to the world, so must we all pray to be working instruments of God's mercy.

We then went to the souvenir shop attached to the Sanctuary, and people bought some things. I really considered buying a T Shirt of the Sanctuary, but decided against it.

We then made our way to the Sanctuary. It was huge. Like B I G. And very, very different from the rest of the churches in Europe. Instead of a gothic style cathedral, this modern Sanctuary was open, curved, and simple. The primary focus was to the front and center altar, where Jesus lay in the Tabernacle. Large stain glassed windows lined the walls. The architectural design resembled and ellipsoidal boat, with a large tower as a mast. I climbed the tower. And climbed, and climbed, and climbed. When I got the top, I was mesmerized by aerial views of Krakow. When we decided to go down, I decided to take the elevator with Sr. Fatima. But we waited for 20 minutes. So we went to the other side.., then the side we were originally on opened up. So we went back, just to have our place take in line again, and we waited for some more...and some more...and some more. We eventually did get down, after a long 35 minutes of waiting. Have mercy! (haha, lame joke)

While I was praying in the Sanctuary, I was suddenly disturbed by a thought that kept entering my head. "Nick, go buy that shirt." It kept replaying in my head, and I could not concentrate. I know it sounds lame, but it was a legitimized thought! So I went to the souvenir shop and bought the T Shirt that I wanted to buy earlier. Apparently, God was done giving me mercy for wearing a Medium sized shirt, and was telling me to stop paining others from looking at me in that shirt, so I changed. Jesus Christ makes all things new, especially in my T Shirts. His mercies are new every morning, and with every well-fitted T Shirt.

We then got back on the bus and headed to Krakow, where we had to say goodbye to our beast bus driver, Daniel. Godspeed, Daniel. Godspeed.

Luke gave us a tour Krakow. We came to the market square, where many shops were available for souvenirs. Here, we got to see many, many pilgrims gathered in one spot. We began introducing ourselves (as we split up into smaller groups, some smaller than others *cough cough*) to people in other countries. People were actually very excited to hear that we were from the United States of America, which really surprised me. And I learned that we actually take a lot of stuff for granted, especially our religious liberty and many freedoms.

I got to meet many people from Great Britain (they are cooler in real life than in the media), Switzerland, Brazil, Spain, Holland, other Poles, Italy, Italy, and more Italy, and Australia (also really awesome)!

Saint Mary's Basilica was the central hub of the square, and it was so miraculously beautiful in all of its ways. In such gothic and gold architectures, the acoustics and designs were breathtaking. There was adoration of the Blessed Sacrament going on, which I stayed in for a bit, because I needed some alone time with Jesus (everything had been busy and with other people).

Then, Luke took us to the archdiocese, where we saw a window that Saint John Paul II spoke out of to the youth when he was a cardinal in Krakow. Pope Francis would speak out of that window later in the week. 

Next we went by the college in Krakow that John Paul the second actually attended.

We then walked thorugh a park and came across the castle in Krakow. The castle, which was a legit castle, used to be inhabited by Kings and Queens before democracy became primary. We did not go into the castle at this time, because the line was as long as this blog. Then we went back to our hostel and had some free time to roam about the city (now that we actually somewhat knew where we were going) and met later that evening.

Upon reflecting on this day, I realized that evening how amazing it was to walk in the footsteps of major Saints, and I was again reminded of how I want to be a Saint, and how they were just like I am right now at one point int their lives. Everyone can be a Saint if they put their mind to it. Walking where they walked, and hearing what they said was just  constant reminder of our ultimate call to holiness.

It is at this point that we ended our mission week, learning about the country of Poland and the people it fosters and remembers. From Maximilian Kolbe, to Jerzy Popieluszko, to Faustina Kowalska, to JPII, Poland is such a Holy country. Upon reflection, I came to the realization that America is nothing like Poland. We have neither the pride nor the spirituality of Poland. I do not see great Saints such as those listed above coming about in America, and it inspired me to actually become that Saint, so that one day, there can be a World Youth Day in America, and a youth will attend and b so inspired by the spirituality of America, that he wants to become a Saint himself.

Lord, help the USA grow in its spirituality and devotion to you, so that we may be a merciful and loving country to all those who need love and mercy. Help us become your living Saints on Earth, so that, inspired by your servants in Poland, we may also come home to You. Amen,

Thus ends day 6.

Nicholas Scalfano

No comments:

Post a Comment